Share this Post
Our kids head back to school on Wednesday. Fourth grade, first grade, and Kindergarten (our baby girl!), and for the first time we’ll have all three in school full time. And while it’s easy to look back and think about everything we’ll miss about our pre-full-time-school years – thank you, Facebook Memories! – we’ve also been looking ahead and thinking about what we hope and pray for our kids this school year.
To that end, Jess sat down and drew up a list of seven prayers that we are praying with our kids this year. She’s been leading us through one each day around the dinner table, and we thought we’d share them with you. Each one has several corresponding Scripture passages and Doorpost Song or two to go along with it.
You can also download a PDF below, and we’ll put the Doorpost Songs in a Spotify playlist. Feel free to use these for your family or add your own. Tell us in the comments what your prayer is for this school year.
Back to School Prayers for Our Kids
PRAYER #1: Lead us to be a friend to someone who needs one.
- Doorpost Song: “Love One Another”
- Theme: We show the love of Jesus by the way we treat each other.
- John 13:35 – By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
PRAYER #2: Show us how to be helpers, cooperative, and display the fruits of the Spirit to others.
- Doorpost Song: “New Creation”
- Theme: When we believe in Christ, we become a new creation. We put away our old sinful nature and God creates something new inside us
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
- Galatians 5:22-23 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
PRAYER #3: Give us faith to trust God when we’re discouraged, sad, or missing home.
- Doorpost Songs: “Lift Your Head” & “Trust In You”
- Theme: God is always with us and goes before us. He is a shield around us.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 – The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
- Psalm 3:3 – But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
- Psalm 46:1 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
PRAYER #4: Help us have self-control over words, actions, and thoughts.
- Doorpost Song: “Hidden Your Word”
- Theme: Hiding God’s word in our hearts helps us live in a way that pleases and honors God.
- Psalm 119:11 – I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
- Psalm 19:14 – May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
- Proverbs 15:1 – A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
PRAYER #5: Help us forgive when others hurt us and ask an adult for help to set things right.
- Doorpost Song: “God So Loved”
- Theme: When we follow the example of Christ, we can forgive others.
- John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Ephesians 4:32 – Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- Colossians 3:12-13 – Therefore,
as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with
compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other
and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive
as the Lord forgave you.
PRAYER #6: Remind us to give praise to God and look for things to be thankful for.
- Doorpost Song: “Remember (1000 Generations)”
- Theme: We’re thankful when we remember everything God has done, and that His promises last forever.
- 1 Chronicles 16:12, 15 – Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles and the judgments he pronounced…He remembers his covenant forever, the promise he made, for a thousand generations.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 – Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
PRAYER #7: Help us remember that we are loved and precious to God, and He leads us to good things.
- Doorpost Songs: “Wonderful” & “Goodness and Mercy”
- Theme: God made us. Each of us is one of His wonderful works. Because He loves us, He gives us good things.
- Psalm 139:14 – I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
- Psalm 23:6a – Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.
Share this Post